Friday, February 25, 2011

Getting gingerbread on Nexus One

If you are an impatient person like me (when it comes to gadgets !), with a nexus one but no gingerbread yet, you might definitely be aware that there are official versions of Gingerbread 2.3.3 floating out there.

I faced some problems getting gingerbread to my N1.

<noobie_skip>
I had CM7 on my nexus one which is gingerbread but I wanted to get to a stock version (why ? my choice :D and for some reason gapps wasn't able to install the GMail app on CM7 !) Noobies, you are supposed to ignore this block
</noobie_skip>

So, I was able to get back to stock version 2.2 using instructions here. From then on my impatience triggered ignorance and things started to go foo bar !

I started getting a very strange error. Something like :

assert failed: file_getprop(“/system/build.prop”, “ro.build.fingerprint”) == “google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2.2/FRG83G/91102:user/release-keys” ll file_getprop(“/system/build.prop”, “ro.build.fingerprint”) == “google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.3.3/GRI40/102588:user/release-keys”
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip 
(status 7)
Installation aborted



Eventually, I figured out that I was trying to directly jump from FRG33 to GRI40 (This is Gingerbread 2.3.3) ! All the zip files floating out there are incremental - they only take you one level up !

So, you may want to check the file name. For e.g. :
2854b06b22b9.signed-passion-FRG83G-from-FRG83D.2854b06b.zip

This file will take you from FRG83D to FRG83G. You will need to go on flashing each one. So find all the zip files that will take you from your version up to GRI40
For me it was from FRG83 -> FRG83D, then FRG83D -> FRG83G and finally FRG83G -> GRI40

Wooohooooo. Gingerbread it is !

Hope this helps someone !

Note: Unfortunately I cannot provide you with all the zip file paths. Since the links may be broken or get broken over time and I do not wish to keep on updating those. Use our friend Google to get to the files ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment